This recipe is so easy and tasty, you may end up adopting it as a weekly favorite. It is a perfect, low-cost, hearty meal without fuss. Serve as a side dish in summer or as a nourishing and satisfying meal when the air is cool and you need the comfort of a good sweater and a warm dish. This recipe will make enough for 6 to 8 generous servings. Make the whole batch, freeze some for later.
28 oz can stewed tomatoes
15 oz can kidney beans
15 oz can chicken or beef broth
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
2 slices of Sunday’s free cheese pizza per serving or adjust to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
Instructions for the soup:
1. How about this for simple? Throw every single ingredient above, except the pizza and oil, into a large saucepan. Add water using one of the empty 15 oz cans. Enough to barely cover vegetables or more if you prefer. We like a thick soup, but it’s up to you.
2. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about a half hour, until vegetables are tender.
You can substitute cubed cooked beef or chicken, if you do not like kidney beans. In this case, add the meat after boiling.
Instructions for the croutons:
1. While the soup simmers, remove and set aside the crust from 2 pizza slices. Stack the slices face-to-face (cheese-to-cheese) and press down. Now cut into strips as if you were cutting sandwich strips. Then, cube those strips.
2. Cube the crusts separately.
3. Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add pizza and crust cubes. Toss around and heat until cheese begins to melt and bottoms turn crisp, 2 to 4 minutes.
Garnish soup with dried parsley. Serve with croutons on the side, to add just before eating. Or serve the croutons over an accompanying salad.
You may also enjoy –